Most senior patients, develop multiple health conditions as they get older. Sometimes this requires them to see multiple specialists, which may prescribe multiple different medications.
This can lead to several of problems like drug-drug interaction, side effects of medications, organ failure and sometimes death.
In 2008, 7.1% of all hospitalizations for patients 65 years and older was due to complications from medications. 8 out of 10 of them were preventable.
Here’s some tips to prevent this from happening to you:
• Common pharmacy errors like the duplication of medications or missing doses can be avoided by setting up a pill box every week.
• Make sure to bring all your medications to every clinic visit.
• Ask questions, understand your medications and their side effects.
• Your provider should review your medications with you and discontinue those that are no longer necessary.
• Keep an updated medication list with you and your spouse/caregivers/children at all times.